P-247 in Algiers
HMS/m Saracen, originally P-247, an 'S' Class submarine, was built by Cammell Laird Ltd. at Birkenhead. Laid down on 16 July 1940 and launched on 16 February 1942 she was completed on 27 June of that same year.
217' in length, with a breadth of 23' 9", her designed surface speed was 14.75 knots with a submerged speed of 9 knots, and she had an endurance of 5,700 miles on the surface at economical speed and 120 miles submerged at 4 knots. Her armament was one 3" gun. She was fitted with six 21" bow tubes and one 21" external tube, for which she carried an outfit of thirteen 21" torpedoes. Her crew numbered between 44 to 48 men.
Janet Kinrade Dethick April 2020